Almost all employers will now have staff working from home during the lock-down, and many will have furloughed some or all of their employees. Video conferencing platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom have helped those still working stay in touch and collaborate on research, business development, product design and more. However, employees still remain in relative isolation, and for those on furlough, they will not be permitted to work at all. However, training during furlough is still an option that employers can exploit.
Training can act as a unifying activity across a company’s workforce. Getting managers and their staff together digitally to undertake training in core employment and commercial law issues is a great way to make use of the spare hours these inevitably less productive economic times have engendered. This helps to cement relationships, and provide support to staff.
Common benefits of training:
• Increased job satisfaction, morale and motivation among employees
• Increased efficiencies in processes, resulting in financial gain
• Increased capacity to adopt new technologies and methods
• Increased innovation in strategies and products
• Reduced employee turnover
• Enhanced company image
• Risk management, e.g., training about sexual harassment and diversity
Through our detailed knowledge and understanding of UK workplace practices and regulations, 3CS are able to provide expert and clear training to our clients – specifically tailored to their size and the industry in which they operate. We offer a range of training programmes which focus on the key employment, immigration and commercial law issues facing employers and staff, and offer practical support to managers dealing with employee relations and disciplinary matters. We are also working with clients to prepare their managers for the return of their employees to the workplace, offering support on issues such as employee sickness and absence, GDPR compliance, changing contractual terms, and small and large scale redundancy programmes.
Our modules can be delivered online to multiple manager and staff participants, meeting our clients’ bespoke needs, and include:
• Covid-19 - managing the new normal - employment law issues
• Introduction to Employment Law
• Living and Working in the UK (expats)
• Managing Sickness Absence and Performance
• Managing People Issues
• Performance Management and Appraisal Training
• Bullying and Harassment
• Effective Communication Training
• Worker and Employee Rights and Different Types of Contracts
• Home Office Compliance Training
• Right to Work Checks
• Data Protection and GDPR
• Bribery Act
• Modern Slavery Act
We also offer clients the opportunity for tailored Q&A sessions with our lawyers which focus on the key issues their businesses face, assisting them in finding timely solutions and ensuring that they stay within the law during a time of unprecedented change.
If you would like more information, please speak to your usual 3CS contact.
 Where training is undertaken at the request of their employer, furloughed employees are entitled to be paid at least their appropriate national minimum wage. In most cases, the furlough payment of 80% of an employee’s regular wage, up to the value of £2,500, will be sufficient to cover these training hours. However, if the time spent training exceeds the furlough payment, employers will need to pay the additional wages